May 30, 2016 — Click here to read about important program updates to CPA PREP.
The CPA Prerequisite Education Program (CPA PREP) is an intensive accelerated bridging program, designed for those who have an undergraduate degree in a discipline other than accounting but lack some or all of the prerequisite courses required for admission to the CPA Professional Education Program (CPA PEP).
CPA PREP is delivered on a part-time basis, combining online learning and self-study. A modular program, students complete only those modules they require. If you have taken any accounting or finance courses through recognized post-secondary institutions, you may be eligible for course exemptions.
The only academic prerequisite for admission to the CPA PREP program is an undergraduate degree from a recognized post-secondary institution. The degree may be in any discipline.
Should English be a second language, it is important to recognize that high levels of English speaking and writing skills are essential to finding success in both the CPA PREP and PEP programs. While not required, it is highly recommended that students score at least an 8 on the Centre for Canadian Language Benchmarks tests prior to enrolling in CPA programs.
Interested in registering for CPA PREP?
Begin a transcript assessment and submit your transcripts for review. Once your transcript assessment is complete, you will be able to determine whether you are eligible to enrol in CPA PREP and if you qualify for any CPA PREP module exemptions.
The only prerequisite to enter a non-core module in CPA PREP is an undergraduate degree. Non-core modules are offered on a self-study basis. Upon registration, students will be provided with all necessary study materials. Exams will be offered five times each year.
Non-core modules include:
- Module 1 – Introductory Financial Accounting
- Module 2 – Introductory Management Accounting
- Module 3 – Economics (Micro and Macro)
- Module 4 – Statistics
- Module 11 – Business Law
- Module 12 – Information Technology
Students must receive a minimum grade of 50% in each non-core module in order to successfully pass.
In addition to having an undergraduate degree, students must successfully complete or have exemption from CPA PREP Modules 1 – 4 in order to enroll in a core module. Core modules include:
- Module 5.1 – Intermediate Financial Reporting I
- Module 5.2 – Intermediate Financial Reporting II
- Module 5.3 – Advanced Financial Reporting
- Module 6 – Corporate Finance
- Module 7 – Audit and Assurance
- Module 8 – Taxation
- Module 9 – Intermediate Management Accounting
- Module 10 – Performance Management
Core modules are offered in either self-study or webinar format, described below:
- Students who register for the self-study structure will be provided with module material and resources such as recorded lesson videos. They will also have a facilitator on the module’s Discussion Board that will answer any questions posted by the student and their peers.
- Students who register in the webinar format will be able to attend real-time webinars throughout the module, facilitated by a professional accountant. Additionally, students who register for this format will have access to all material and resources supplied to self-study students.
Five semester schedules are offered each year with various core modules offered each semester. Registration for each module will open approximately two months prior to the start of modules. Students should keep the following prerequisite requirements in mind when applying for modules:
- Modules 1-4 are prerequisites for Modules 5-10
- Module 5.1 is a prerequisite for Module 5.2
- Module 5.2 is a prerequisite for Module 5.3
- Module 5.2 is a prerequisite for Module 7
- Module 5.1 is strongly recommended for Module 8
- Module 6 is a prerequisite for Module 9
- Module 9 is a prerequisite for Module 10
PREP Module Schedule and Fees
Please note that there is annual student dues for CPA PREP. All fees are subject to change.