To earn the Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation, future CPAs must complete relevant practical experience in addition to formal education and the Common Final Examination. The following video and documents cover valuable information about the CPA practical experience requirements.
CPA Practical Experience Overview Video
CPA Practical Experience Requirements Information for Future CPAs
- CPA Practical Experience Overview [PDF] — a brief overview of the requirements and process involved in achieving the practical experience requirements.
- CPA Practical Experience Requirements: The CPA Practical Experience Competencies [PDF] - provides full details about the technical and enabling competencies future CPAs must develop through their term of qualifying practical experience. You may also watch a video presentation of the competencies.
- CPA Practical Experience Requirements: Reporting and Assessments [PDF] - provides specific details about how reporting works for both routes you can take to obtain your practical experience requirements.
- CPA Mentorship Program: Overview for future CPAs – provides further information about the CPA Mentorship Program.
- Does my job qualify? Determine if your current job, or a prospective one, meets the necessary competency requirements to start the qualifying period of practical experience. Complete a Self-Assessment.
- The CPA Harmonized Practical Experience Policies outlines the profession’s expectations regarding the implementation of policies for qualifying practical experience, mentorship, transition rules and reporting and assessment.
CPA Practical Experience Requirements and Public Accounting
The updated CPA Practical Experience Requirements came into effect on September 1, 2015 and include both the general practical experience requirements for certification as a CPA, and the specific practical experience requirements for those seeking registration to practice public accounting. Please note that the specific regulations and bylaws of the provincial/regional body and the specific licensing regime or authority within each provincial body to control public accounting take precedence over these general requirements. Learn more about the Public Accounting Services and Other Regulated Service Streams for Manitoba here.
- CPA Practical Experience Requirements for those in Manitoba seeking registration to practice public accounting at certification have been developed for audit, review and compilation streams of public accounting services registration. Learn more about the key requirements here.
- The CPA Public Accounting Chargeable Hours Submission Form is completed by CPA students/candidates who are reporting CPA practical experience through the profession’s online Practical Experience Reporting Tool (PERT), are employed with a licensed public accounting firm and need to report chargeable hours for the purpose of seeking a right to practise public accounting.
Pre-approved Program Offices in Manitoba
Click here for a current listing of pre-approved program route offices in Manitoba.
Need more information?
For more information on the CPA practical experience requirements, visit CPA Canada. Specific questions regarding the practical experience requirements can also be directed to email@example.com.